251: Monday 27th May 2013

The front bumper line was a bit weird on one side and I could not get either of the gaps right on the infill panel between the bumper and just below the flip up lights, so I decided to fix the infill panel to the bumper permanently. I also made a small bracket to join the plastic substructure to the bumper and fibre glassed it and the substructure on.
----
I put an initial layer of fibreglass in the gap
----
When the first layer had set another layer went in to build it up to right level for a finish.
----
Next I sanded the fibre glass back to the level of the panel and the bumper. This revealed a row of pitted areas.
----
I put on a layer of filler. I use David's Isopon P38. Other brands are just as good, but I didn't realise that until recently, as it was all my local store had.
----
I sanded back the filler until it was just transparent and perfectly flat.
----
I put on a coat of white primer, then a coat of red. I also painted all the inside of the panel so that any part seen through a gap will be red. I ran out of day and put the bumper in the garage to dry. I wanted to have another day, but I guess it will just have to wait until the weekend unless I can do some more in the evening maybe. I am pleased with the way this has gone. I need to make a couple of brackets once the bumper is mounted to finish the fixing supports and then ready to finish the painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment