189: Friday 13th May 2011

Today my batteries went back to the supplier for a part refund, so now the Probatron is off the road until I get some more batteries. Now I can work on upgrades to the car and fixing some of those niggling problems that I keep putting off. If I have time I may even take off the bumpers and clean up the rusty bits underneath. I have had the Probatron in 3rd gear now for about 4 months and never had the need to change gear at all. For my motor and controller and gearbox, third gear is fine. So I have decided to remove the gear lever, make up a panel for where the gear lever was and mount some of the controls in this new panel. It will make for easier access to the forward / reverse switch and also it gives me somewhere to mount the new display that I am still working on. The picture below shows a mock up of the graphics that I will have on the panel. This also shows roughly where the forward / reverse switch, emergency stop button and PAS switch would be mounted and also the display.
----
The next picture shows the back of the centre console with the gear lever gaiter still in place. This has a plastic flange that screws on in four places, so this means there are four fixings ready to go. I took this off and removed the gaiter from the flange. I could cut the flange, but it will be just as easy to make some bent aluminium strip to fix the new panel on the back of the console.
----
The next picture shows the centre console removed with the gear lever gaiter still in place. This is where the new panel will go.
----
The next picture shows the centre console with the mock up mounted behind. I used some cardboard to support this and just taped it on the back side. This was just to check the positions of everything, check the angles and just get a feel for how it will ultimately look. The graphics will be white on a black background.

No comments:

Post a Comment