72: Saturday 28th November 2009

So now it is time to mount all the other parts. First up to make a template for the motor mount. For this I used thin ply wood. This is easy to cut with a jigsaw and drill.
----
Next the frame to hold the controller. I added a piece of timber on each side 12 inches long, then joined with more timber going across. First of all I put the across pieces on top, but then I rested the controller on top and I could see there was a problem with the height of the contactors that would touch the hood. Too close for comfort! So I fixed the across timbers underneath and the gave me the important extra inch in height. For the actual tray I will be using angle iron, so I will lose another 1/2 inch there too.
----
Under the controller sits the heat sink.
----
This gives me a height problem again.
----
I tried mounting the controller longways and the contactors sit near the firewall and there is plenty of height there. With the heatsink underneath there is still enough room to clear the hood. I had a rethink though because the tray was mounted effectively on the gearbox and it would move when a load is put on. So now I am looking to mount over the gearbox again, but fixed to the body. The battery cables are very flexible, so they can easily accommodate any movement in the gearbox. I rotated the alarm horn, now I can move the controller all the way over to one side leaving plenty of room to mount the DC-DC converter, the control box I made and the brake vacuum pump. This is a much better place for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment